The most common causes of accidental fires

fire

Accidental fires break out all the time. It is easy for items to accidentally catch alight, especially in the home. Recently, the Cape Town CBD was engulfed in flames, and firefighters worked night and day to contain and eventually put out the flames. The damage to the area was significant.

Yet, accidental fires can be easily avoided, if you follow a few simple guidelines.

 

Electronics

Accidental fires in the home are a common problem and stem from several factors. Electronics is one of them. When electronics short circuit, there is a chance that the sparks can start a fire. Also, appliances like stoves, irons and other conductors of heat should be switched off once they have been used and placed in an open space, free of flammable materials to cool down.

Older homes don’t always have the proper wiring to handle the many electrical appliances in use. Often old wiring inside walls becomes frayed or worn, causing shorts and sparks. Be sure to have the wiring of your home checked every ten to 15 years.

 

Smoking in bedrooms

Bedrooms are best to be kept off limits for smoking, says Home Spotlight. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the butt may stay alit for a number of hours. It could burst into flames if it came into contact with flammable materials, such as furniture. Did you know that fires started in the bedroom or lounge make up 73% of all house-fire fatalities?

 

Kitchen Fires

The most common type of kitchen fire is a grease fire, Fire Rescue reports. A grease fire is extremely dangerous as it can get out of control quickly and spread from the stove throughout the kitchen and into other rooms in the house. Grease fires can cause serious injury and extensive property damage.

Other types of kitchen fires include oven fires and appliance fires. Fires can also start in the kitchen when electricity comes into contact with water.

Be sure to monitor cooking appliances at all times during use.

Related Posts

Leave a comment